Developing computer science professionals that employers are looking to hire
One program, unlimited opportunities.
Ashland University’s Computer Science program is designed to help you succeed as a professional within the technology industry, which is expanding and evolving every day. Today’s technology-focused world needs innovative, technology-focused professionals who specialize in areas such as programming, software development, networks, system administration and cybersecurity. Ashland University’s cutting-edge computer science program provides you with the hands-on training and skills you need to enter an in-demand, high-income career in technology.
Prepare for an in-demand, cutting-edge career.
Graduates from computer science programs are increasingly in demand. That is especially true when it comes to graduates of programs dedicated to remaining on the cutting edge of industry tools, trends and standards. Many colleges and universities offer programs in computer science; the key for you is to find the right one that fits your interests, needs and goals.
Ashland University’s Computer Science program is designed for students looking to learn the skills and use the tools industry employers need, all within a collaborative environment that positions your success as the main focus. With small class sizes, professors who are personally invested in your success and with an emphasis on internship opportunities designed to build your professional network and open doors after graduation, our computer science program sets the bar for equipping you to succeed at the next level, whether that’s entering the workforce directly or going on to study at the graduate level.
About the Computer Science program.
Ashland University’s comprehensive Computer Science program is designed to teach you how to think, not what to think. The program is part practical and part theoretical. We want you to have both the tools and the knowledge behind why those practices are used, so you will be equipped to solve new challenges as the technological world evolves. For example, you’ll learn modern programming languages, but you’ll also learn the conceptual frameworks behind those languages so when the industry shifts, so can you.
In this program you will learn programming in Java, web design, Android mobile app development, cybersecurity and build the kind and quality of skills you will need to work in a constantly evolving technological space in your career ahead.
You will also have access to our program laboratory, which includes computers and applications designed to give you real-world experience within an environment that allows you to learn in a variety of ways, all within a culture of support and collaboration.
Designed for Your Success.
Our Computer Science program offers you the opportunity to learn from nationally-recognized faculty and collaborate with other students in competitions in preparation for your career as a technology professional.
We have four active local chapters for national student organizations:
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon (International Honor Society for the Computing and Information Disciplines)
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- Pi Mu Epsilon (National Mathematics Honors Society)
- National Cybersecurity Student Association
Professors in the department have been honored with numerous teaching awards:
- One university-wide Taylor Excellence in Teaching Award
- Two state-wide Ohio Section of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) Awards for Distinguished College or University Teaching of Mathematics
- National MAA Henry L. Alder Award for Distinguished Teaching by a Beginning College or University Mathematics Faculty Member
The benefits of Ashland University’s Computer Science program.
Learn the skills you need to be an industry professional in an intimate educational setting with direct mentorship opportunities available throughout this four-year program.
Choose From a Variety of Career Paths
With the tools and knowledge gained in a degree through our Computer Science program, you’ll be in demand and ready to take on the challenges just waiting to be solved across a wide array of industries.
Meet Real-World Challenges
Along with internship opportunities, this program’s capstone project involves partnering with a local business to help develop software and technological solutions to meet their challenges.
Financial Aid Opportunities
Financial assistance is available to help you complete your degree through our Computer Science program, along with paid internship opportunities during your junior and senior years.
The benefits of Ashland University’s Computer Science program.
What to expect from Ashland University’s Computer Science program.
In this program, you will:
- With a degree in computer science, you’ll be equipped to pursue a career as a Software Developer, Database Administrator, Computer Hardware Engineer, Computer Systems Analyst, Computer Network Architect, Web Developer, Information Security Analyst, Computer Programmer and much more!
- Receive personal attention from each of your professors in an exceptionally strong programming curriculum., with many opportunities to participate in classroom activities with small class sizes.
- Access state-of-the-art computers in your classrooms and the department computer lab running on a variety of operating systems including Linux, Solaris, MacOS and Windows so you can learn to work across many platforms. Our lab machines are also equipped with scientific typesetting software, software development tools, compilers, word processors, spreadsheet programs, database programs, web design and programming tools, audio and video editing software, multimedia software, computer algebra systems, statistical and geometric software and other applications to enhance your learning experience.
- Gain real-world experience with internship opportunities at local and regional companies to earn college credit while getting paid.
- Benefit from opportunities to participate in national and international programming competitions to further build your skills.
- Make a difference in the real world. For your senior capstone, a local company will provide you with a real-life computer science problem and you’ll design the software to solve it. This will help you demonstrate your skills and give you the confidence to meet future challenges in your career of choice.
- Be prepared to enter an industry that is predicted to grow by 19 percent through 2026, which is a much higher average growth rate than other industries.
Fall 2021 is special.
Ashland University recently announced that for Fall 2021 face-to-face instruction and activities will be expanded. While safety protocols still remain in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19, starting in August of this year, the college experience at Ashland will feel closer to what it’s been traditionally.
But that’s not the only reason why Fall 2021 will be special. We’re also creating brand new opportunities for Ashland University students to succeed.
Tuition Relief Scholarship
The pandemic has dramatically increased the burden of paying for an education. Out of our commitment to making education affordable, Ashland University is offering a one-time Tuition Relief Scholarship available to first-time, full-time residential students for the 2021-2022 academic year. The Tuition Relief Scholarship is powerful and simple: enroll this fall, pay your first semester’s tuition after other financial aid has been applied, and AU will pick up the bill for your tuition in Spring 2022 (as long as the student maintains a 2.0 GPA).
The Dean’s Scholarship was created to enhance the undergraduate academic experience for new first-time and transfer students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences in the following disciplines: Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Journalism and Digital Media, and the Natural Sciences.
Benefits include a merit-based, renewable scholarship of up to $3,000 “stacked” on other merit awards received. In addition, students will have the opportunity to participate in unique academic communities created around engagement with faculty and a focus on career coaching and preparation.
To qualify, applicants must have a minimum high school or transfer GPA of 3.5. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years with a GPA of 3.0.
About Ashland University.
Founded in 1878, Ashland University continues to have a rich tradition as a private, comprehensive institution preparing students for exciting, impactful professions and careers. Your success is our goal, not just while you are a student but for the rest of your life as a member of the Eagle family.
We place a great emphasis on the importance of each member of our community. The phrase “Accent on the Individual” has been our motto for many years and characterizes well the nature and content of both the online and campus environment.
We promise to teach you how to think, not what to think. We promise to work with you to create an individualized plan for your future, and we promise you an affordable education. We promise you will be guided by mentors invested in you as an individual. They will, within a diverse community of respect, design personalized transformative experiences to develop you as a person who works, serves and leads with integrity. And we promise you a lifelong commitment as we continue to help you discern your life calling and make a positive impact on your family, community and the world at large.
I was a double major in both Mathematics and Computer Science. Entering the field of technology upon graduation, the logical thinking coupled with the technology and computer science coursework set me up with a foundation that allowed me to learn quickly and grow professionally early in my career. I loved the camaraderie that I had with my fellow classmates. Being in a smaller program in terms of student count allowed us to support each other and push each other to excel. I have gone back to Ashland University and stayed in contact with my professors. I have reached out for their support and they have reached out for mine over the last almost 20 years. This is the best part for me…that even after all this time, I still cherish my experiences there and stay connected with a program that really set me up for a fulfilling career I love. I would recommend Ashland University to anyone considering it.
— Jacqueline Pfadt (’02)
Ashland University was an important milestone in my life. My faculty and peers were always looking out for what was best for my progress and willing to lend a hand when needed. The personal touch of smaller-sized classes, with the resources to further my knowledge and confidence, provided the right combination I needed to be successful in the workforce. My senior year, I was required to complete a project related to my field of study in which I created a video game. My honors advisor, Dr. Swanson, along with my faculty advisor, Dr. Ajwa, helped guide and focus me on the task at hand. Whenever I needed assistance or was unsure of the next steps, they provided the resources and knowledge to help me along. The firm foundation I was able to establish as a result of my time at Ashland University continues to serve me throughout all aspects of my life.
Brady Douglas (‘18)
Take the next step toward your future now.
Start your career as a technology professional at Ashland University as you build up your professional network in a culture of belonging, seize opportunities for growth throughout your four years within the computer science program and learn the skills you’ll need to succeed no matter where your career goals take you into the future.